Thursday, July 14, 2011

{design dilemma}: help!

This huge window (along with the other one in the playroom) are one of the features that made me fall in love with this house. I love the light it brings into the house and the brick detail as a "seat".  It's 6 feet wide, almost 5 feet high, and 17 1/2 inches deep.

The thing that I don't love is the blinding sunlight that streams in the window while we're trying to eat breakfast each morning - or while Grayson is trying to eat breakfast and I'm on my second cup of coffee.  I'd love to put up some type of window treatment that can be used to block the sunlight for the hour or so that it's blinding, but that won't obstruct the view of the backyard.

Here are a few not-so-great iPhone pics of the window...






Here are a few of the looks like I love:


                                                                     Source: younghouselove.com via Mary Jo on Pinterest



                                                                    Source: younghouselove.com via Mary Jo on Pinterest



                                                                               Source: thenester.com via Mary Jo on Pinterest



                                                                      Source: johnsjournal-maria.blogspot.com via Mary Jo on Pinterest



I love the look of curtains, especially the fabulous striped drapes found at the Nester's house, but I'm not sure if that's the right fit for that window.  I like to hand curtains high and wide, but there's not much space for that on this window.  There's only about 8 1/2 inches of space on the left-side of the window, before you hit the dimmer switch and peninsula.

Here's where you come in!  How would you conquer this design issue if it were at your house?  Would you hang curtains?  Blinds?  Roman shades?  Or a combination?  I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the roman shade. Good luck deciding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the roman shade treatment also... it will be able to go up (and down as needed for light control) and out of the way as I like the design of the window - which may get lost in hanging curtains. just my two pennies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I myself am a sucker for cute printed curtains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would do the curtains!
    They can be pulled to either side of the window along the wall and not obstruct the light when you do want it coming through.
    Roman shades will cover up a little bit of your window even when they are not pulled down to block the sunlight.
    A great print/stripe would also add interest!
    Good luck and let us know what you come up with!
    visiting from tatertots and jello

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the roman shade!! good luck:)
    http://jaysonandashley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your window! Just a thought, have you considered plantation shutters? Like here http://www.houzz.com/photos/19593/Cottage-Kitchen-by-Valerie-Pedersen-traditional-kitchen-san-francisco

    and here
    http://www.withtwocats.com/2011/03/friday-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and I try to reply back to each one. Please take a minute to check your settings to see if you're a "no reply" blogger. Need help? Click here:
http://517creations.blogspot.com/2011/08/noreply-commentbloggercom.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...