This Crème Brulée French Toast casserole would be a perfect Christmas morning breakfast. I love the idea of putting breakfast together the night before, while Santa’s elves (or Daddy) are busy putting the last of the toys together, refrigerate it, and bake it on Christmas morning.
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced (I get the fresh French loaves at Wal-Mart)
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Spray your casserole dish with a nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup together until blended. Pour in the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish, making sure the bottom is covered.
- Arrange the bread slices in the pan over the syrup. Depending on the size of your slices/loaf, you might have to squish the pieces together. Mine don't usually end up in a single layer, but more overlapping each other a little. I like it this way, because then the bottom of the bread is gooey and the top is a little more crunchy.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, vanilla, and salt. Pour over the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down to make sure the bread soaks up all the cream mixture. Refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bring casserole to room temperature. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of each piece as it is being served!
Did you miss Days 1-4 of our 31 Days? Click on the button above to be taken to the "landing page" to visit the links!